Having a new roof system installed is the most important investment regarding your home. Make sure the investment is a good one and spend time learning how to properly evaluate roofing contractors. Here are a few guidelines to follow when choosing the right roofing contractor.
- Make sure the roofer has a permanent place of business, telephone number, tax identification number, and a business license.
- Ask for proof of insurance. Ask to see copies of liability coverage and workers' compensation certificates.
- Make sure the roofer is properly licensed or bonded.Look for a company with a proven track record that offers client references and a list of completed projects.
- Make sure the roofer is financially solvent.
- Make sure the roofer supplies you with a written proposal and check it for complete descriptions of the work and specifications, including approximate starting and completion dates and payment procedures.
- Have the contractor explain his project supervision and quality-control procedures. Ask for the name of the person who will be in charge of your project, how many workers will be at your home and estimated completion time.
- Keep a healthy skepticism about the lowest bid. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Fly-by-night contractors usually give low estimates, but these contractors often are uninsured and perform substandard work.